Many of the fun aspects of "toddlerhood" have arrived for Lauren. She is trying to walk more, especially taking 2 or 3 steps between pieces of furniture at home. The record so far is 14 steps in a row, and yes, Mommy has been counting. :) She is also doing a lot of new things, including carrying one of my old purses around the living room. It's amazing to me that she thinks of these things. Of course she has seen Mommy carry a purse many times, but I have never shown her how to do it herself. She picks up on so many things now. She is also understanding us a lot more, and can sometimes tell us what she wants by using her signs or pointing. It is great when your child is thirsty, brings you her empty sippy cup, and makes the sign for "more." She's like a real person! :)
Unfortunately, many of the unhappy aspects of toddlerhood have arrived as well. She knows what she wants and when she wants it, and gets VERY upset if we say no. The word "tantrum" has come to mind on several occasions. We are careful not to give in when she acts this way, because we want her to learn that behavior won't "work." She hasn't learned that yet. Quite honestly, it feels like she has been in a bad mood for about a week now. Is this going to last through the terrible twos? I certainly hope not.We also got our Christmas tree a week ago, so I will try to put some pictures of that adventure on Lauren's photo page soon. She had her first encounter with Santa Claus at the tree farm--not a big success! We didn't get a picture, because it would have involved much screaming. I'm ready for Happy Lauren to make a return.
3 comments:
Andrew had a bad week last week too. I also attributed it to entering toddlerhood. Luckily, this week he's back to "normal". When Andrew tries to throw a tantrum, I look at him and say, "If you wanted to throw a tantrum to get your way, you were born in the wrong house buddy" and I walk away. It's amazing that I don't even feel bad. Maybe I'm mean... Eh, oh well. Moms are mean sometimes, right?
We're starting to get a taste of that too. When I try to steer Isaac in another direction by grabbing his hand he pulls away from me and wails. I guess he's starting to test his limits now so I have to remember to be firm just like you said.
Thanks for the support, mommies! It's good to know we're all going through this together. :) Lauren was in a much better mood today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but I'm just thankful for her happiness today!
Post a Comment