a little weyel

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Kayaks, Colors, and Cuisine

We had an absolutely beautiful day here on Saturday, and we enjoyed it by taking a family kayak trip. Gary got a new kayak as a Christmas/Birthday present, and we were able to take Lauren out in it for the second time this weekend. We floated around Morro Bay and headed out to the sand spit, where we got out and let Lauren play in the sand for a while. Then we toured around the bay for a bit and saw lots of fish and a sea lion swimming by. Lauren really enjoyed it and loved to splash her hands in the water. She even feel asleep on the way back and took her nap out on the ocean. :) It was such a perfect day! More pictures can be found here, but keep in mind that we took them with a broken digital camera, so they're not the best quality.
On a totally different topic, it's been exciting to see the new things Lauren is learning. I can tell that she is starting to identify colors. We got some plastic cups with matching lids, and she will make sure to always match up the same color cup and lid. She even held up the purple cup and said, "Puh-puh!" (Her version of purple, of course.) And when I tell her to bring me her purple jacket, she always picks the right one. Purple seems to be a favorite color so far. She is also starting to understand the concept of numbers. I already mentioned that she knows two comes after one, but I didn't know if she could comprehend what that meant. But a couple of times in the last week, I have handed her two things (sippy cups, blocks, etc.) and she said, "Two!" It is so exciting to see her absorb new things and understand more about the world around her.

And finally for this long post, I need your help! I've been trying to make more "kid-friendly" meals so that all three of us can eat the same thing for dinner. But Lauren tends to be picky about what is placed in front of her. So all of you moms out there: what do you feed your families that everyone likes to eat? And if you're not a mom, do you remember any kid-friendly meals from when you were little? Lauren should have been done with baby food months ago, but its the only way we can get her to eat meat and certain types of veggies. So I need your help to get her away from the baby food and enjoying more real food with us. Leave me a comment or send an e-mail with your best advice! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, great post and pictures!! Wow, your family seems so happy. I like to see how much you enjoy your surroundings (especially since I miss SLO!).

When my sis and I were little, my parents would have chef salads for dinners and they would feed us what they called "peasants dinner" which was a plate with parts of the chefs salad all around it like hard boiled egg, slice of cheese, piece of chicken, celery, carrot, etc. That's my only idea!

:)

Anonymous said...

In order to down the veggies my brother and I would mix them in with the mashed potatoes or spaghetti.(if she can stand things touching) Try using small cookie cutters and cut them into fun shapes.
(sharons' sister)

Sharon & Jacob said...

I need recipes too, I'm actually looking for a cookbook on "hiding the veggies". One trick I found, Isaac loves hamburger so I sautee onions and garlic and add hamburger and some tiny shredded carrots. I swear you can't taste the carrots at all. The other veggie Isaac will eat is sweet potato fries, I love them, Jake's not too fond of them. You can get them in the freezer section at Albertsons. He also loves rice , so instead of just plain rice I mix tomato sauce in while it's cooking to make spanish rice, he loves that. And ofcourse salsa, Isaac loves to dip like we do so he'll try even though he may not like it.

Carolyn said...

Thanks for all of the advice! It is definitely appreciated. (I'm going to get some of those sweet potato fries. Great idea, Sharon!) Keep it coming!