a little weyel

Monday, March 21, 2011

A Quick St. Patty's Day Recap

Our St. Patrick's Day wasn't quite as involved as last year's, thanks to the fact that both kids and I had school/work that day. I knew they would each get green celebrations in their classes, and we wouldn't have as much time to do things together at home. But we had to start off the morning with the traditional breakfast treat (the one time a year that I buy Lucky Charms!). Lauren found a shamrock trail leading her from bed to the breakfast table.

We got dressed up in our finest green and set out for the day. Lauren discovered that a naughty leprechaun visited her classroom that morning, leaving chocolate gold coins and a fun mess. She and her class put on the leprechaun hats they had made and did a quick parade around the school. (Wish I could have seen that!) Jonathan got some extra treats in his toddler class, and that was about it--which was fine with him since he has no clue what St. Patrick's Day is.


We brought Lauren's teacher a special treat--we love her so much!

When we got back home, there was a scavenger hunt waiting for the kids. Lauren remembered the one from last year and actually requested it again a few days before, so Mommy happily obliged. :) I remember wondering during our hunt last year about how things would be different for 2011. I assumed the big change would be with Jonathan, but he was pretty much just as clueless as last year. Instead, the biggest change was that Lauren could read all of the clues all by herself. There is no holding that girl back.
{Reading clues}
{Finding another clue, while Jon tries to figure out what's going on.}

The end of the hunt was a small bag of goodies with Skittles (rainbow candy!), green goodies, coloring pages, and supplies to make green cereal bracelets. Jonathan quickly devoured the candy and didn't care about the rest. Lauren and I made the jewelry and colored while Jonathan napped.
{Finding the treasure--in the dryer!}

The grand finale of the day wasn't too grand. Daddy was working late, so it was just the three of us for dinner. I made Mac and Cheese and let Lauren turn hers green with food coloring. (I didn't want to color Jon's in fear that he wouldn't eat it that way!) Overall, the best part of the day was that Jonathan was in a much better mood than last year. However, I'm still awaiting the day when both kids can enjoy our fun adventures together!


3 comments:

astapp said...

Lauren's reading! And they are both so tall. I was hoping you'd do this post. I thought of you on Thursday when I tried to talk Wyatt into wearing a green shirt. That was the extent of our celebration but I'm glad to know that others do it up!

Kim and Jim said...

Great ideas Carolyn...loving it like always.

The McCabes said...

so precious! I love your little family!!