a little weyel

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why God Didn't Give Me Easy Babies

Remember this post, that I shared a few weeks ago? I got a lot of response from that--some of you were worried about me (no need to, I'm just fine) and many of you could relate. Thanks for encouraging me to share my heart with you!

I've thought a lot lately about why God has given me these children--not just children in general, but these specific kids. Why did God give me the kids with asthma and colic? Why didn't I get the easy, mellow, go-with-the-flow babies? Why didn't I get children with disabilities or cancer? (Thank you, God, for that blessing.) Why Lauren and Jonathan?

If you're a parent, have you ever wondered about that? The initial answer is easy: God is teaching me things through them. I definitely believe he uses the people in our lives (our families especially) to teach us more about Him, ourselves, and the people He would like us to become. But what are the specific lessons I should be learning?

I know I am only at the very beginning of what God will teach me through my children. So far, I have clearly seen His desire to grow the fruit of the Spirit in me through my role as a mother: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22). I look at this list and can easily note ways in which I have developed more of these things over the past three and a half years. Anyone who has experienced a colicky baby knows you need to have patience and self-control in order to maintain your sanity! And anyone who has rushed a hurting child to the hospital knows the extreme love you feel as you would give anything to fix the pain. I still have a long way to go, but I am thankful that my children have given me a push to "keep in step with the Spirit."

Recently, I have also been seeing how God uses my relationship with my children as an example of my relationship with Him. I found another blog post this morning that writes this much better than I ever could. I don't know this woman personally (so I hope she doesn't mind the link--and I doubt she would), but I encourage you to read what she has written . My love for my children is not dependant on how well they behave or how easy they make my life. And God loves me even more than I could imagine--not because I come before Him perfect and unblemished. He loves me when I am covered in snot and drool, when I am crying and pouting, when I am angry and immature, when I feel "unlovable." He rejoices in me, even more than I rejoice in my children. Thank you, Lord.

And thanks to all of you for reading about our daily adventures, and watching as I grow in the Lord. Please let me know what God is teaching you through your children. I'm sure He would want us to share. :)

2 comments:

Kim and Jim said...

Beautifully said Carolyn, I can echo the whole Fruit of the Spirit comparison...so true! God is so good and having kids truly lets you see his patience for us too! Love ya friend and thanks for sharing your heart. You are an inspiration!

The McCabes said...

haha ... oh girl, you're opening up a can of worms with your question ;). let's see where to start ... what God's teaching me through my boys:
1. how to truly embrace the Cross
2. how to surrender to His plans
3. the benefit of trials
4. how to trust my self-love to God
5. how to die daily
6. how to temper my standards
7. how to bear afflictions
8. the bondage of self
9. the need for humiliation
10. the sacrifice of love
11. the purpose of suffering
12. what simple obedience is
13. the depths of my pride
14. living in the present moment
15. dealing with offenses
16. the danger of distractions
17. how to listen to Him
18. how to let go of anxiety
19. how to accept my weakness
20. how to let things go
21. avoiding being a spiritual busybody
22. being satisfied with today
23. opening my heart
24. living out God's truth
25. living moment by moment
26. turning toward God
27. leaning towards Him
28. living day by day
29. what to do with my hopes and fears
30. being patient
31. depending on God
32. having that inner calm
33. NO LONGER STRIVING!

as you can see, the list goes on ... the last one being my latest struggle. what God seems to be grilling into me lately is that I need to pay more attention to my inward life ... to take my deepest and strongest desires and putting them into God's hands ... asking Him to conquer me completely. that's my prayer.

lots of love to you and the fam! we dig you guys ;).