Wow.
It was a beautiful fall day in 1995 when I was on my way to the cafeteria at Cal Poly, ready to meet a friend for lunch. She told me one of her neighbors in the dorm didn't have anyone to eat with so she suggested he eat with us. It was instant attraction, immediate interest. I don't remember much of what we talked about that first day, but I do remember he made me laugh. And I liked it. Really, who could resist this face?
Just a few weeks later, we were on our first date. Amazingly, someone took this random picture of us on that night.
I was in a gray sweatshirt because Gary decided it would be romantic to show up at my door unannounced, and whisk me away to dinner at the cafeteria and a large group meeting with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. (Jon, if you are reading this in years to come, please note: girls like a little advanced notice so they can get gussied up for the event.)We found lots of reasons to spend time together over the next few days and, on October 23rd, we shared our first kiss. (Lauren, if you are reading this in years to come, please note: you really should know a boy for more than a few weeks before you kiss him.)
We have been together ever since.
Four years later, my handsome boyfriend proposed on a cliff overlooking the ocean. A year after that, he saw his bride walking down the aisle on our wedding day:
One of the things I clearly remember thinking while I was dating Gary is that I would love to see the look on this man's face when he sees his newborn child for the first time. Thankfully, I did get to see that--twice. It looked a little like this...
Fifteen years after that first lunch together, Gary is a devoted, wonderful father to our beautiful children. He is my handsome, funny, smart, steadfast groom. And today, he is 33 years old. Happy birthday, my love. Thank you for choosing me.
Love,Carolyn
5 comments:
What a wonderful, sweet story. Happy birthday Gary!
now THAT is a love letter. eloquently, intimately and beautifully written Carolyn. happy birthday Gary! McCabes love you and your family!!
I loved hearing more of your story and am amazed that you've been together 15 years. Wow! Happy birthday to Gary.
That was absolutely beautiful! Gary Happy Birthday and you are one lucky guy to have such an amazing girl like Carolyn. Love you all! The Knights :)
I remember Gary bringing home (to Sacramento) the picture of his new girlfriend from Cal Poly and showing her off. We were all wow'd at how beautiful his new girlfriend was. You two have a great love story.
Post a Comment