Project #1: Brighten It Up
If you ever visited our home in Los Osos, you know we were surrounded in natural light all the time--and we loved it. So moving to our new home, with a lot less light, was a little tough to get used to. One of the darkest rooms is the family room, which is where we spend most of our time during the day. We looked into some different options to brighten up the place, and ended up choosing Solatubes. They're a lot like skylights, only smaller. But they let in a lot of light, they're earth-friendly, and (best of all) they're cheaper. :)
On the top is a picture of our family room, taken in the middle of the afternoon, before the Solatubes. Seriously. See the problem? We had two Solatubes put in the room, and the picture on the bottom shows the after.

So much brighter! I no longer have the lights turned on all day. :) We also had one put in our kitchen, to replace the (super ugly) ceiling fan that never worked right anyway.

And, perhaps best of all, we had one put in the guest bathroom. This room is in the center of our house, which means it has no windows. The before shows the dark cave that it was. The after is how it looks now, with no lights on. Loving it!

Project #2: Welcome to 2010
When we chose our new home, I was thrilled to finally have a fireplace. However, I was not thrilled with the ugly 1980's tile and design. Thankfully, the fireplace was able to go from 1986 to 2010 in just a little over a week. Here's the before and after!

One final look at our family room in January (taken with a flash):
And our family room now (with no flash):
Perhaps my favorite part of all: When the fireplace was completely finished and we were standing back to admire it, Gary said, "So, you want to start a new project on Saturday?" I don't know who this man is, but I like him!
7 comments:
Everything looks great!
So nice! Great pictures. I love the solatube things. Good job guys. :) Keep us posted on any new updates. :)
I love before and after photos. These are awesome. I did not even know solatubes were an option. Love the new fireplace mantal too. You'll love that.
Wow! The fireplace turned out beautifully. Good job you guys
Wow, we've been thinking of skylights for one of our dark rooms. We'll have to check out the solatubes!
Did you guys put the solatubes and do the mantle yourselves!?!?!
WOW !!! What a difference those solatubes make. I'll have to keep that in mind :) And the fireplace is beautiful. Can't wait to see what else you guys do :)
Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you did this! I have been looking into the Solatubes for our super-dark bathroom. Did you DIY install them?
-Jenni
Post a Comment