a little weyel

Saturday, April 10, 2010

10:45am

A Week in My Life:

10:45am, Sunday, April 4th: We're at church, celebrating our risen Lord on Easter Sunday. Both kids are having a tough morning. Neither one seems to be feeling especially well, and Jonathan is nonstop grumpy and whiny. But so far, we have managed the traditional Easter baskets and made it to church just barely on time. Later, we will enjoy a special meal and hunt for the Easter eggs that the bunny left in the backyard.

Easter tends to be a challenge at our house. Someone is inevitably sick, or we are traveling to visit far-away family. Today is no different. We're thankful that Gary's parents can be here to "celebrate" with us, but I'm sad that all we have to offer them are two sick and very grumpy kids. Parts of the day are special: seeing Lauren enjoy her grandparents so very much, watching Jonathan catch on to the egg hunt and finding plenty of his own eggs, and having the time to make special meals for all of us. (Lots of pictures are up at our photo site.) But overall, I'm feeling a bit jealous of the families with smiling, happy kids, wishing for the day when everyone in my house is content at the same time.
10:45am, Monday, April 5th: I'm at work. It's Spring Break, so I should be off enjoying an exotic vacation, right? But I have so much to catch up on, now that I'm teaching two classes, that I took my in-laws up on their offer to watch the kids while I spend some time at my office. Actually, it's okay. I still enjoy teaching, and I'm extremely grateful for this opportunity to get things done in the peace and quiet.

10:45am, Tuesday, April 6th: Sitting at the pediatrician's office with a child who screams nonstop the entire hour we are there. I'm getting the looks from other parents that either say, "Can't you make that stop?!" or "Thank goodness that's not my son!" The doctor confirms what I already suspected during the long, sleepless night with Jonathan: it's likely he has asthma, just like Lauren. Dr. Bravo gives us the medicine he needs, the same medicine we've given Lauren so many times, and we head home. The whining and crying continue all. day. long. I'm pretty much ready to pull my hair out by bedtime.

10:45am, Wednesday, April 7th: By some God-given miracle, Jonathan has slept all night long and actually wakes up happy! It's amazing the difference a day (and some prescription medications) can make. I take the kids to Laguna Lake, so we can feed the ducks and play at the playground. We're there for over two hours, simply enjoying the sunshine and each other. The rest of the day is spent playing in the backyard, splashing in the sand and water table. It makes me look forward to summer, when I won't be working, the sun will be shining, and we can just play. I continually thank the Lord for a good day, which I so desperately needed.
10:45am, Thursday, April 8th: Jonathan had another good night and has been doing fairly well today. Lauren is almost well and back at preschool now. The morning is spent making the final decisions for our fireplace remodel--the other major event that has been going on this week. I will gladly share before and after pictures when it is all done, but so far I love it!
10:45am, Friday, April 9th: I just finished helping out with a field trip at Lauren's school, and now the whole family is off to spend some time at the Avila Valley Barn. Today was originally planned as a "family fun day"--I figured I should get at least one as part of spring break. However, Jonathan woke up super early and is back to being grumpy and whiny, and he is so difficult to be with at times. We do enjoy the Barn, including feeding the animals and buying a fresh fruit snack. But Jonathan's whining is enough to make Daddy choose to go back to work in the afternoon. Ugh.
10:45am, Saturday, April 10th: We're digging up the front yard! It's been quite the busy week around here. Jonathan is mostly back to normal: waking up early, using whining more than words, playing with his sister, snuggling with his mommy, and shouting "Da" every time he sees his daddy. So we are focusing on another house project: taking out the overgrown bush that is covering our front window and planting some beautiful spring flowers in its place. It takes all day, but we get it done (and I'll share some pictures later). My two favorite moments of the day: (1) When Jonathan decided to take off his pants and his diaper while we were working in the front yard, and (2) When Gary said, "I'm actually enjoying getting this done." Me too, babe. Just another week in the Weyel house.


Disclaimer Mania: Whenever I write a post like this, I get a large variety of responses. Some are empathetic, and some are thankful for my honest sharing. Others are worried about me. And still others tell me not to complain about my children on the internet, and that I should just appreciate my wonderful life. So let me just say that I'm absolutely fine, dealing with the challenges one day at a time, relying on my Lord the best I can, and there is no need to worry about me. And I share these things to be honest with you and with myself about our family's story. No one wants to read a blog about someone else's perfect life, right? :) And when I look back at this history of our family, I want to remember life as it really was, not just the rosy version of it all. I love both of my children dearly, I am incredibly thankful for them, and I am doing my best to take joy in the daily trials, knowing that it is developing my perseverance, faith, and hope. Thanks for sharing in the journey with me!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Ah yes, I understand your challenges with Jon. However, I would have to say that Connor is worse at the doctor...this last time he actually threw his toy cars at the doctor and hit her in the face. All while screaming bloody murder...and this is at 3years old, not 18 mo.

astapp said...

Your disclaimer made me smile. :) I am glad to know you and your family more today than I did yesterday. We appreciate you guys and have missed connecting more regularly.
It's so crazy how it's such an intense pendulum with kids. The highs and lows in just one day are insane. I can't really imagine the extra swings with adding another one to the mix but I always prefer an honest look (complete with highs and lows!) to the shined up version that is too easy to write about.

astapp said...

Two more things... 1. You look like you have a new haircut since I saw you last. It's really cute. Side-swept bangs, right? And 2. I'm so sad with you to hear the news about Jon's asthma. Ugh. I long for the days of healthy bodies!

heather Parizek said...

Carolyn,
Looking at your family Easter picture...your family "looks" very healthy, happy, and perfect. Alot of people just share the rosy version and cheery pictures :) The truth is, alot of us have the same stories as you. I often have to remind myself of this...there is no perfect family :) Today Haleah is driving me nuts ! But at the same time I love her more than I could ever imagine. Hang in there...Summer is right around the corner !!! And thank you for sharing all your joys and trials in life. Helps me remember I am not alone :)

Kim and Jim said...

Hello friend, I ditto all your friend's comments too and yours. We are definitely in this boat more times then not. Children can really spice up your life in more ways than one. Oh how I wish we lived closer and the boys could play, whine, and be grumpy together! We should chat early in the morning. Evie is up late and Evan super early these days. Fun times! :) Love ya friend!